Three Characters of The Color Purple

My first character to be chosen is the main character being Miss Celie herself. When I read this book I imagine Celie being a mother character to everyone else. When Shug got really sick, Celie took it upon herself to care for her. When Sofia and Harpo were splitting up, Celie was giving advice and comfort to both of them. When Celie was forced to marry Mr._____ she immediately became a mother figure towards them, caring for them just as though they were her own. Celie is a caring woman and has taken it upon herself to mother those around her.

My second character to look at is Sofia. When I read this I picture Sofia as a strong, and independent. Unlike Celie, Sofia stands up for herself when being beaten. Harpo decided that the only way to get Sofia to do what he wants is to beat her. He wasn't expecting her to fight back. She doesn't stand for being treated poorly. "He punch her in the stomach, she double over groaning but come up with both hands lock right under his privates." Sofia tells Celie to fight back but Celie doesn't know how, all of her life she's gone with the flow, but not Sofia. Sofia is strong and independent and knows she deserves respect.

My third character I am looking into is Shug Avery. Shug is a blues singer who gets sick, and meets her biggest fan. I think Shug appreciates the care, but she doesn't acknowledge it. Shug is very independent and has a sharpness to her. She doesnt need any affirmation of anyone else. Shug is beautiful, and she knows it. " Shug's bright black skin in her tight red dress, her feet in little sassy red shoes. Her hair shining in waves." She wears clothes to stand out because it reflects her personality.

Comments

  1. I think you are very right that Celie is a motherly character to everyone in the book. I think one of the biggest reasons she is so motherly is because she is trying to be the mother that she never had.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment